Friday, February 27, 2009

My First Management Lesson

I got to learn my first management lesson from my elder cousin brother, Sachin, when I was in a huge dilemma over finalizing NUS or ISB for my MBA. When ISB result was declared on Feb 10th, I had a mixed feeling as I had admit from NUS as well. I called up Sachin's elder brother, Nitin, who is working in Shell (Hague, Netherlands). We decided to have a conference call in the night. After that I called up Sachin and told him to attend the conference. He agreed. Then he asked me what is Nitin suggesting. I told him that he would place his bet on NUS.

Around 11PM we started the conference. Nitin preferred NUS and Sachin ISB. In the middle, I was analyzing their opinion. After approx 40 minutes, having discussed a lot we departed. It was an inconclusive talk. I knew I had to research more to make a decision. For next 2 days, I talked to ISB alums/students and made up my mind to go to ISB. I called up Sachin and told him about my position. He sounded amused at my decision. I told him that even you preferred ISB that day. He laughed and told me that he asked about what Nitin is inclined at only because he could take the other side and represent ISB. Otherwise, there was nothing to discuss in the call. Both of us would be talking about NUS and I would have got influenced by a biased conference call. He then told me that he also thinks that NUS is a much better destination at these circumstances. I, then, told him that I've only talked to ISB's alum/student for last two days. He quickly pointed me that this is because I've heard only one side of the story. He asked me to talk to people representing NUS.

I talked to many NUS folks then and finally I'm headed to NUS. During these 4-5 days, I got to learn my first Management Lesson (thanks to Sachin brother): "It is important to have views from all sides while discussing a strategy/case. If not, then your final result/decision is biased."

No comments: