Friday, July 11, 2008

Practikke mackke mmannnn perppect

Can you read the title clearly?

You, probably, will speak in a similar fashion when you deliver your first speech in front of your audience. No matter how much prepared you are, you will definitely infuse a sentence that sounds similar to the title. Murphy's law/adage holds true in public speaking as well. For those who don't know about Murphy's law, it goes like this: 'If there is a small chance of going something wrong/unexpected in your activity (be it demonstration, presentation, public speech etc.), then it will go wrong during the activity'.

The fear of public speaking is always there in me. To take out this fear, I joined ToastMaster club in my office and delivered my first speech today. First speech is popularly known as the 'Ice Breaker' Speech where the speaker introduces himself to the club members. The speech should be about 4-6 minutes long. I prepared my speech well in advanced and keep on practicing again and again in my room and office's empty conference room. I was confident that I would be able to deliver a flawless speech. 3 of us were giving the speeches today (one was giving his P2 and other P4). I was the first one to speak. When I was invited by the toastmaster, my heartbeat gained a phenomenal speed and sound. Though no one told me, however, I felt that my heartbeat was much louder than my voice during the start. I was well prepared but suddenly started to lose words when I started speaking. I had to look into the eyes of the people sitting there while speaking (I used to prepare in an empty room) and Murphy bhaisaheb (brother) was just waiting for this moment. This was the unknown factor that I didn't deal with while practising earlier and started to lose concentration. I probably would have muttered something similar to Practikke mackke mmannnn perppect. However, I held back my conscious and ended well.

I got the award for Best Prepared Speaker of the session. Since I was competing with guys who were delivering their P2 and P4, I felt good in the end. My continuous practice saved me from the embarrassment I would have had if I was not well prepared. Indeed, Practice makes a man Perfect.

No comments: